Fall Harvest Recipes
Lake Valley Seed has a great selection of squash and pumpkin varieties to choose from, including organics! Welcome back cool weather by enjoying that fall harvest you grew and nurtured all summer long! Here are two simple recipes that are sure to please the palate.
Acorn Squash – with Butter and Brown Sugar
- 1 (medium) Acorn Squash halved and seeded*
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
*LVS Recommends growing our Organic Table Queen Acorn Squash – Item #3507
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (175˚C).
- Turn acorn squash upside down onto a cookie sheet. Bake in a 350˚ F (175˚C) oven until it starts to soften, approximately 30
to 45 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven and turn onto a plate or flat surface, with the flesh facing upwards. Place the butter and brown sugar into the squash and place remaining squash over the other piece. Place squash in a baking dish that will keep it from sliding around.
- Place squash back into the 350˚F (175˚C) oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
*Original recipe yields 2 servings
Balsamic Roasted Pumpkin – with Goat Cheese
- 1 (3 pound) Sugar Pumpkin*
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground pepper
- 2 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano*
*LVS Recommends growing our Organic New England Sugar Pie Pumpkin – Item #3990, and Organic Greek Oregano – Item #855
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place pumpkin onto a secure cutting board. Cut the top and bottom off of the pumpkin, removing as much of the stem as possible. Use a sharp vegetable peeler or paring knife to remove the peel from the pumpkin. Cut pumpkin in half and use a spoon to scoop out seeds and strings. Trim away any remaining pieces of stem. Cut each pumpkin halve into 1/2-inch strips.
Chop each strip into 1/2-inch cubes. Place cubed pumpkin into a large bowl.
- Mix balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl until thoroughly combined. Pour over pumpkin pieces in the bowl, and toss to thoroughly coat. Place pumpkin in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Stir gently, then continue baking until pumpkin is softened and slightly caramelized, approx. 25 to 30 minutes more, stir again if needed. Serve warm, topped with goat cheese and fresh oregano.
* Original recipe yields 4 servings